This visa is part of the Australian Business Innovation and Investment Program, which seeks to expand the country’s economy. This visa is available by invitation only. Before being invited to apply, you must first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect.
This visa has two streams.
- The Significant Business History stream is for affluent owners or part owners of a business who want to have a major management role in a new or existing business in Australia.
- The Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream is for people who have obtained at least AUD1 million in funding from an Australian venture capital firm.
- You should have a nomination by a state or territory government
- Invitation to apply through SkillSelect
- You should be under 55 years of age, unless the nominating state or territory certifies that you will make an exceptional economic benefit.
- Have an overall successful career in business or investment
Significant Business History stream
If you apply for the Significant Business History stream, you (or your partner, or you and your partner combined) must have all of the following:
- net assets of at least AUD400 000 (in a qualifying business) in at least two of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply
- total assets of at least AUD1.5 million that can be legally transferred to Australia within two years of the visa being granted
- a total annual turnover of at least AUD3 million (in one or more of your main businesses) in at least two of the four fiscal years immediately before you are invited to apply
- ownership of at least:
- 51 per cent of a business with turnover of less than AUD400 000 per annum, or
- 30 per cent of a business with turnover of more than AUD400 000 per annum, or
- 10 per cent of a publicly-listed company
- an overall successful business career with no involvement in unacceptable business activities
- a genuine desire to own and maintain a management role in a business in Australia.
Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream
If you apply for the Venture Capital Entrepreneur stream, you must have obtained at least AUD1 million in funding from an Australian Venture capital firm for the start-up, product commercialisation or business development relating to a promising high value business idea.
What Can I Do With This Visa?
The permanent Business Talent visa (subclass 132) allows you to:
- establish a new or develop an existing business in Australia
- travel in and out of Australia for five years
- have family members accompany you to Australia
- live and work in Australia permanently.